Replacing your missing teeth is one of your top priorities because there are too many lifestyle changes that you’ve endured. It’s hard to chew certain foods, and you feel insecure about the appearance of your smile. Then there are the difficulties with speaking clearly. The time has come, though, to do something about these inconveniences, so your dentist weighs in with 5 reasons why dental implants in Venice are the best option for replacing your missing teeth.
The Dental Implant Explained
A dental implant is a specially-made titanium post that acts as a replacement for your missing roots by attaching to your underlying jawbone. Over time, it fuses with the same to form a sturdy and long-lasting foundation.
Here are the three main components of a full restoration:
- The Implant – As described above, the implant acts as the foundation of the entire process by attaching to the jawbone.
- The Abutment – After sufficient healing, an abutment is added to the implant. Made from titanium as well, it allows for a final restoration to be attached to the implant.
- The Restoration – The restoration is the prosthetic that replaces your tooth and allows for the normal function. For a single tooth, you’ll need a crown, a bridge for multiple missing teeth and implant-supported dentures for a full arch of missing teeth.
One of the major benefits of dental implants is the jawbone support they provide. By attaching at the root level, implants trigger the continued production of new bone cells, which helps to fortify the entire jaw structure.
Most People are Good Candidates
Another perk is that most people are good candidates for the procedure. Furthermore, dental implant treatment has a 98% success rate. To make sure the procedure is right for you, your dentist will take the time to thoroughly examine your oral cavity when you head in for your initial visit.
Tooth Loss Prevention
The added tension that dental implants place on the underlying jawbone also help to prevent tooth loss. That’s because reduced bone integrity can cause the remaining teeth to unseat and eventually fall out, but with the healthy tension restored with dental implants, you don’t have to worry about that happening.
A Better Alternative Than Dentures
As opposed to traditional dentures, dental implants are a more reliable and permanent option. Here are the differences between the two methods of replacing your teeth:
- Dentures adhere to your gums, so they provide limited support for your jaw.
- Implant-supported dentures, however, provide a much sturdier form of replacement because they attach at the bone level.
- Whereas dentures need to be removed every night for cleaning, with dental implants you only need to brush and floss as you normally would.
- Because dentures are help in place with dental adhesive, there is always the chance of shifting and falling out.
- Implant-supported dentures differ in that they are held in place using a secure system of snaps or specially-made bars.
A Natural Looking Smile
A final benefit of dental implants is that they allow for a more natural looking smile. That’s because they recreate the way your teeth are attached to your jawbone. Thus, the restoration (crown, bridge or implant-supported dentures) that is added later, will look like they’ve always been there.
To learn more about the dental implant process and to receive a thorough examination, reach out to your implant dentist in Venice to schedule a visit today. With your new implants, you’ll be able to fully regain the life you once had!
About the Author
Dr. R. Scott Thompson earned his dental degree from the Emory University School of Dentistry, and he has been in private practice for nearly thirty years. He holds Fellowship status with both the International College of Oral Implantologists and the International College of Dentists, which allows him to perform precise dental implant procedures at Tarpon Shores Dental. Dr. Thompson can be reached for more information through his website.